Friday, April 15, 2011

I love food!

Today is a non-running day and instead of not posting, I have some recipes for you of my favorite snack foods. And pictures of course.
Because of this amazing woman, my momma, I LOVE to cook.


None of these snacks came from her recipe book (her food is way better), but I felt it necessary to prelude my introductory food post by attributing my love of cooking to her.


In the future I will post real recipes, I promise!





First up is a breakfast smoothie. Loaded with protein and deliciousness. If you don't know why protein is important check out Munch and Crunch's protein 101 here. NOTE: It's not low calorie (approx. 400 calories) and is meant to be a meal or a mid-morning snack.


Recipe:
1/4 c. Oats, uncooked
4 oz. Greek Yogurt
1 scoop (29 g.) protein powder - I use vanilla
1 Tbs. Ground Flaxseed
1/2 c. Light Soy Milk
1 c. frozen fruit


Mix in blender adjusting liquids and fruit for desired consistency.




Then enjoy! Yes, kitty got some yogurt. He LOVES it!















Next up: Hummus.
Delicious with pita chips or better yet veggies.

Recipe:
1 can garbanzo beans (AKA chickpeas), drained - save liquid
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic (more if you love garlic like me!)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pinch paprika


Pulse all ingredients in blender or food processor. If mixture is too thick, add reserved bean liquid. 

*I prefer a little less Tahini, I find it to be kind of strong tasting.
** Add roasted red pepper for variety and a wonderful color as 
     seen in my picture.

Last but not least: Crispy Edamame.

Recipe:


1 bag shelled edamame
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less to suit your spicy desire)
1/4 shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper




Pre-heat oven to 400. Mix all ingredients in bowl until edamame are coated. Place a layer of foil on baking sheet to help with crisping. Spread edamame mixture in a single layer. Bake until crispy, stirring once. About 30 min.



If you have any questions, let me know!


Do you like to cook? What are your favorite healthy and delicious snack foods?





1 comment: